How to make Dhokla at home
Published By Neha Sadana on 2011-10-03 2408 Views
Dhokla recipe is very popular and well liked Gujarati dish. Dhokla can be prepared easily at home in microwave and pressure cooker both. Let's learn how to make dhokla, an instant dhokla recipe below.
Dhokla recipe is healthy and nutritious staple food in Gujarat. Being very light and quick to make, it can be a good substitute for breakfast.
Dhokla Recipe ingredients
* 1 and 1/2 cup Besan ( gram flour)
* 1/2 cup suji / rava
* 1 and 1/2 cup curd
* 1/2 cup water ( if needed)
* 1 pouch ENO or 3 tsp ENO
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1 tbsp oil
* One pinch turmeric powder for color
* 1 tsp mustard seeds
* 2 tsp salt
* 8-10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
* 2 chopped green chilies
* 1 lemon
Instant Dhokla recipe - How to make dhokla at home
* Take a bowl, and mix besan and suji in curd. Beat the mixture well. There should not be any lumps in the dhokla recipe batter.
* Add water if the batter is thick.
* The consistency of batter should be like rava idli batter.
* Add salt, sugar and the turmeric powder.
* Pour the dhokla recipe mixture in a greased micro wave safe bowl.
* Now add, ENO to the dhokla batter.
* Put the bowl in microwave cooker for 8 minutes.
* Keep in mind that you have to put some water in the microwave cooker, before putting the bowl with the dhokla recipe batter.
* In the meanwhile, heat oil in a pan.
* Put mustard seeds, chopped green chilies and curry leaves in the hot oil.
* Pour this tadka on the instant dhokla.
* Cut the dhokla in small pieces. This way they look good and easy to eat.
If you want to soak the dhokla in lime water then follow these steps:
* Prepare lime water with a lemon, 1glass water, 4 tsp sugar & a pinch of salt.
* You can also add citric acid instead of lemon to make lime water.
* Put some chat masala in dhokla lime water for more spicy taste
* Soak the dhokla pieces in the lime water for 2 to 3 minutes and serve with chutney or tomato sauce.
* Besan dhokla is also known as khaman dhokla.
Dhokla recipe Tips:
* Dhokla can also be made at home in pressure cooker, if you dont have microwave oven.
* Remove the vessel of the cooker and put some water in the cooker.
* Place the bowl with dhokla recipe batter above a plate.
* Cook on high flame for first 10 minutes and then on low flame for next 10 minutes.
This Dhokla recipe is instant and easy to make. Hope you learn how to make dhokla at home well with this simple recipe.
More to read
How to make Rava Idli at home
How to make Pizza Dough at home